5.14.2015

CHIC MINIMALIST


Hi Everyone! Wow it as been a WHILE since the last post on Pretty Obsessed. So much has happened in the interim; I started a new job, moved in to new apartment and have begun to adopt a completely new lifestyle... Ok it's not that dramatic. It is still a work in progress and I hope you guys will join me on this new journey.

The Back Story

Like many households in the US, my parent's had a lot of THINGS in our house growing up. There was just stuff... everywhere. I remember we even had an extra shed built just for more storage space. I thought that was  normal. And the scary part is it is normal for a lot of people. After I started living on my own, I realized that it did not have to be that way. Maybe that is why I am somewhat of a neat freak now. However, there was still that closet or that area in my apartment where randoms things would get shoved into - like Christmas decor, extra throw pillows (I went through a throw pillow frenzy), purses that I hadn't used in years, etc.

The Capsule Wardrobe

Fast forward to about a month ago, when I was prepping my apartment for the move. It was definitely eye opening to see how much  stuff I had accumulated over the past two and a half years. I donated some of it, but it didn't seem to be enough. There were still so many random unnecessary knick-knacks; decor that I had bought because it was on sale, vases that have never been used but I thought was cute at time, more candle holders than one could use.

I had been thinking about downsizing my wardrobe for some time now, but didn't know where to begin. I wanted my closet to contain pieces that I love and would feel comfortable wearing everyday. After all, I probably only wear 30% of my wardrobe most of the time anyway. That is when I discovered this new (well new to me) concept of capsule wardrobes.


What is it??

Caroline, the creator of un-fancy, describes it perfectly in her blog post here.


I have not figured out the magic number for my capsule wardrobe yet. And maybe there won't be a number. Everyone has a different definition of what "living minimal" means. I'm excited to embark on this journey of discovering my own definition with all of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment