5.21.2015

OIL PULLING | THE TREND TO TRY!

What is oil pulling??

It is an ancient Ayuredic Medicine for oral care that involves swishing oil in your mouth for 20 mins, then spitting it out.

I don't remember how I came across oil pulling, just that the first time I tried it I couldn't commit. It was probably during one of my late night internet surfs searching for hippie home remedies.

Directions:
1. Put a tsp of coconut oil in your mouth (since coconut oil comes in a solid state, you'll have to wait a bit for it to melt in your mouth)
2. Swish it around (you can do so slowly.. 20 mins is no joke!)
3. Spit it out (not in the sink though)


My Routine:

I like to do the deed in the morning while I'm getting ready for the day. I get out of bed, tie my hair in a bun (if it's not in one already) and put a teaspoon of coconut oil in my mouth. After that I'll wash my face, do my makeup, pick out my clothes and by that time the 20  mins is usually up and I can spit it out. Then I rinse my mouth and brush my teeth to make sure all those nasty germ-ies are gone. Finally I take my hair down, spray some dry shampoo in it, get dressed and I'm on my way!

I'm not going to lie, it is a weird feeling to swish oil around in your mouth for 20 mins. But you DO get use to it after a couple days. The first day of round 2 doing oil pulling I had to spit some of the oil out half way through. I also only lasted for about 10 minutes. The second day I did the whole 20 mins and it just got easier from there. Now it doesn't bother me anymore! 


Benefits?
I remember reading somewhere that it could potentially help reduce allergies and I might be completely full of crap but I HAVE observed a difference! My allergies have been horrible this year - like blowing my nose every 10 minutes bad. After trying oil pulling for a few days, they've been reduced to sniffles here and there. 

I've been doing oiling pulling consistently every day for a week now and I've also noticed that my gums are healthier. I haven't seen a noticeable difference with teeth whitening yet, but let me know if you guys would like an update on this!








No comments:

Post a Comment